Monday, December 23, 2013

WBEZ Workers Unionize

I admit that I'm a bit behind on news and trends in public media. My three paying gigs are taking up more of my time.

I find it intriguing that another public media outlet is unionizing. Chicago Public Media workers voted 40 - 7 in favor of joining the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists.

Does the need to organize represent that public radio is growing up, at least at the larger stations? It might also mean that workers feel a need to protect themselves against management. I do recall putting in a lot of hours and getting little in return because I believed in the mission. Being let go a few times flies in the face of those beliefs.

You can find more in Trib-Town with a link to an article in the Chicago Sun Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment