Sunday, September 4, 2011

Hawk n Dove Will Close in DC/NPR

Often what we talk about on the Real Life Survival Guide is the loss of local, family businesses. What replaces them is the paint by the numbers chain establishments. It's a theme that has come up more than once. In fact we talked about it again at today's recording session at Manjares in the Westville section of New Haven. The local establishments help give us a sense of place... a sense of community. I don't think we get that same sense from the national chains. I felt that loss when one of my favorite spots in Milwaukee closed down. Kalt's had been open for about 140 years when it closed. It's a place I kept going back to because of a sense of connection.  I still miss it.
Audie Cornish reports for NPR

No comments:

Post a Comment