Monday, May 27, 2019

Nagging Questions/Public Radio

It's  A Personal
Medium

Does it make sense to replace regular programming with specials (lots of 'em) in and around holidays?

I like to think I've become a pretty typical listener. I tune in when convenient for me with the expectation I'm going to find what I come to expect. Instead, at times, I'm getting specials. It's not what I want. So...I tune out.

What's the Point?

I used to program that way. Specials in and around holidays used to give the regular staff a day or two off. It also gave producers a shot at airtime for their content. What's missing in this equation is the listener. 

Is there an assumption the listener is going to listen from beginning to end? If so, it's false. It's not the way we use radio. The listener's expectation is consistency. That consistency leads to loyalty. If you're measuring with PPM, it's easy enough to tell if the one-off special is having an impact.

I don't think it's working. 



Editorial Choices


Perhaps, if there was more promo real estate for fewer specials, the programming might work. Your gambling the content is of sufficient relevance to be appealing to your audience. Instead, focus on one or two specials, promote the hell out of it and see what happens. Your promotion strategy should include all platforms. After a few of these attempts you'll get a good idea of what works and what doesn't. I'm not hearing that. I tune in because something your scheduling consistently meets my needs. Then, out of the blue, it's not there. The special just seems to be filling space. I didn't know it was coming, I didn't hear the opening, and I have no clue as to what this is.

Ask yourself if you would replace All Things Considered for a special on the snail darter? If you program music, would you replace an hour with a special on crafting or decoupage? Why not? It's art, right? Would you program music so far outside your format that a listener tuning in halfway through would think they have found the wrong station or wonder, what's happening? 

There's nothing wrong with special content. Think audience first. Does this enhance the experience of my listeners? The answer has to be yes. Then, let them know what's coming.

1 comment:

  1. I know why it is done, Kim, but I agree that it is NOT thinking about the audience's desires and expectations. I get very angry when my programming staples are taken away. If you want to broadcast specials, do them in a "specials slot" in your weekly schedule. Of, better yet, let the regular programs produce their own specials that air in their regular spot. Jim Russell

    ReplyDelete