Sunday, August 29, 2021

Community Service/Community Support

 

Who or what are you serving?

I was perusing audience shares in my market. I know, kind of geeky.  I noticed a public station I once competed with and then work for was going through a significant loss of audience share in our market. The drop seem precipitous, so I contacted the station's director (CEO). The response was a little defensive. "We're aware of the problem." "The PD is looking at the figures." We use three year trends." I'll give them that last one. I only saw four months of AQH share data. Their share is now around a half point. It once was around 2.5%. 

I was trying to share some cautionary advice about making  hasty changes. The response was odd. "We remain committed to Classical programming in Greater XXXXXX, and northern XX with our hosts." 

Maybe you're thinking, "Sounds right to me." They're on a glorious mission to educate America about classical music. It's the noble cause. What's missing from the response is mention of the audience and service to the community. I've worked with music directors and station managers who thought this way. They said, "What we need is more early music." "What we need more is more harpsichord music." What we need to ban baroque music from the air." "What we need is more Mahler on the air." My question, "Is this what the audience wants?" Their answer, "We're going to change the way the audience thinks about the music and how they use radio!" Really?

The Audience Decides

Your programming serves no purpose if nobody is being served. This station, with their huge signal, should have the classical audience pretty much to themselves. I'm not sure what's happening, but for some reason, they are losing that audience. I'm hoping the dismissive answers were just annoyance at my questions. I'm pretty sure they're working on improving their appeal to their audience. The folks who run this station are really smart people. I also hope that if you find yourself in the same situation, your response will be all about who you are serving, not what you are serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment