Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Why We Give - Listener Participation

Listen and Engage

Social Media marketers often talk and write about listening. TechTarget defines listening also known as social media monitoring, is the process of identifying and assessing what is being said about a company, individual, product or brand. Google Alerts and Hootsuite are two of the tools used. During the membership drive at WNPR we used a less sophisticated tool. We asked.

Telling Stories

An effective tool in fundraising for non-profits is storytelling. The stories are an effective tool in reaching potential donors. So, instead of focusing on the needs of the station, I asked how the station was fulfilling the needs of the listener. In essence, we were listening and then engaging by reading the comments of listeners. It seemed to work. This morning we went over goal again. We tried it last week and went over our goal by 25%. This week we had challenge funds to go with our pitching and exceeded out goal by 33%.

 A Two Way Street

So much of what we do in radio is one way. We provide the content. The listener listens. That's it. Asking for and using comments is a bit unusual. 

The comments were short and to the point. As listeners started to participate...more became involved.
Here are some of those comments. Many of them speak to the companionship of radio.


  • WNPR is my connection to the world!
  • I'm a third grade teacher. I get a lot of ideas about current events from your program and share them with my students.
  • I like all the points of view.
  • You keep me informed and help me to connect the dots.
  • Thanks very much. You are a part of every morning and afternoon.
  • I listen to NPR all the time and wanted to give back.
  • I listen on the way to and from work. It gives me a half-hour a day to catch up on interesting topics. I love listening to you.
  • I wanted to make sure I could help with the match. I listen every single day.
  • I love NPR! I have been listening to it since moving to Connecticut in 2006.
  • I've been listening for years. It keeps me company day and night.
  • I see it as continuing education and life-long learning.
Most of these people have been listening for a long time. They tune-in several times a week and listen to several programs. The duration of each tune-in is around an hour. They're loyalty to the station is important. Their loyalty makes it more likely they will contribute.




No comments:

Post a Comment