Monday, September 11, 2017

9/11 Paradigm Shift

Where was I on 9/11? 

I was in Baltimore. I arrived the night before for the Public Radio Program Directors Association (PRPD) Conference. I signed up for a pre-conference session with a management consultant. The all-day session was about getting the most out of on-air talent.

I rose on 9/11 to a clear and sunny day. It was glorious. I opened the curtains and looked out from my hotel room onto the inner harbor. The sun was gleaming off the water.

I noticed a helicopter gunship fixed in place, making circles. Until it got to me. The ship stopped. It seemed clear they were looking at me. I backed away from the window. The gunship resumed it circling. This was about a half-hour before the first plane hit the World Trade Center.

Part of what we focused on at the start of the session was managing in an era of a paradigm shift. The idea was to get our talent to continue to strive relevance in a changing world. In this sense it's a shift in how we think and talk about things. A paradigm shift for my parents was World War II. As this discussion started to unfold, one of the PRPD board members came into our session to tell us a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. The meeting was over.

9/11 was a paradigm shift. My boss lamented the events of that day by saying, "This changes everything." He meant that everything that was expected of Public Radio was about to change. What we covered and how we covered it was going to take on a greater importance. Everything else was going to have less relevance. He was right. I saw a challenge as we struggled to grasp what had happened and what this meant for the future. He felt the loss of the way things used to be. With any paradigm we have no control over the catalyst that brings about the change. We change our perspective to adapt.

The change in what was expected on Public Radio didn't happen overnight, but the audience began to shift for us from a classical imperative to a news imperative. The shift happened faster than we could adjust for it, but by 2005 it was clear to us the changes that happened and what we had to do about those changes.

The relevance in this case was the sociological change brought about by the events of 9/11. Those events changed everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment