Friday, December 9, 2022

Things That Work / Belonging

 
Jon Tyson

Belonging Is Important

Being a part of something was so important to my development. It's a natural desire. The people I identified with provided opportunities for growth, learning, societal skills, and reinforcement. And, this is coming from an introvert. I don't need a lot of external stimulus for motivation, but going it alone was never a healthy alternative. I still seek out social interaction as I did then. 

Remember "I Am Rock" by Simon and Garfunkel? The defiance of the loner? 

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me
I am shielded in my armor
Hiding in my room safe within my womb
I touch no one and no one touches me
I am a rock I am an island
And then, reflectively, as the song ends.
And a rock feels no pain
And an island never cries

The Mayo Clinic put it this way:

The social ties that accompany a sense of belonging are a protective factor helping manage stress and other behavioral issues. When we feel we have support and are not alone, we are more resilient, often coping more effectively with difficult times in our lives.Dec 8, 2021 mayoclinic

My Question Life came up with five reasons why belonging is important. 

 1. Improved Physical Health 

Countless studies have proven that belonging can decrease blood pressure, enhance bodily performance, and increase odds of recovery from surgery or disease.

2. Reduced Stress

Maintaining secure connections cues positive hormones in our bodies, helping us to feel better.

3. Increased Life Expectancy

A sense of belonging actually improves our physical health; it also reduces our stress – two important factors in living a long, healthy life. For all the ailments, sicknesses, and recoveries we’re going to face, the support and care for others will quite literally inspire us to get better faster.

4. Higher Self-Esteem

Having a strong sense of belonging allows us to feel like we matter to others.

5. Decreased Anxiety and Depression

It’s no surprise that, with all the physical benefits of relationships, there would be mental benefits, as well.



So I remember when we were driving
Driving in your car
Speed so fast, it felt like I was drunk
City lights lay out before us
And your arm felt nice wrapped 'round my shoulder
And I-I had a feeling that I belonged
I-I had a feeling I could be someone, be someone, be someone
-Tracy Chapman

It got me to thinking, what if management was required to encouraged belonging? It happens, I've felt it. Those jobs were the most rewarding. I felt valued. What I thought mattered. If more of this was done, there would be more value to all our lives, and we would value those around us...And less #quietquitting.


No comments:

Post a Comment