Saturday, September 22, 2012

Make the Most of Specials

Lately I've been helping market public radio specials. Most of the time I talk with program directors and content directors about filling a specials slot in their schedule. Real estate is getting tight for most stations. Many have their slots filled through the next quarter. If the content providers offer a short turnaround (a few weeks) my job is more difficult.

Looking for Opportunities
When I was a (PD) content director, I used to look for opportunities to get some of these quick turnaround programs on the air. If I thought the content was something the station's listeners might value, I would look for opportunities.

  • I looked at weaknesses in the schedule. Programs that were doing poorly with the audience were often targets for preemption.
  • Another possibility was running specials anywhere we were running repeats. Again, if the repeat wasn't doing well according to audience data, it was an opportunity to schedule a special.
  • I might also decide to bump programming in my specials slot depending the content and the opportunities. 
I tried not to program for my convenience. As a curator, I looked for content that would serve my audience. There are opportunities beyond the program schedule.

Partnerships
Try thinking beyond the on-air schedule. A limited series can offer marketing and community partnership opportunities. I am currently working with On Being. They're offering their Civil Conversations Project as a limited series. On-Being is recording for programs in front of a live audience. The purpose of the series is  to promote new conversations around hot button issues. The idea is timely. According to Pew Research political partisanship is at an all-time high. Political discussion have been reduced to dogmatic proclamations and rhetoric. 

This series offers opportunities for partnerships. A marketing package could be put together. In my region, the Hartford Seminary and a major divinity school could be approached. The Hartford Seminary is trying to advance common ground issues between the three Abrahamic Faiths. If your station has a local news/talk production, regional experts could be interviewed to advance the issues represented in the series. There might also be other organizations that promote civil discourse.

We did this when I worked at WNPR. There were several instance when we were able to pull together partnerships around issues. All we did was take advantage of a desire to make community connections and take advantage of entrepreneurial opportunities.  

Your airtime is not free. You want to take advantage of these opportunities. You have to start with a bit of thinking beyond the schedule or convenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment