Saturday, October 22, 2011

Preparing for the Pitch

I've volunteered to help my local public radio station during their current membership campaign. It's a station I used to manage.

Because I was not a part of the pre-drive preparations, I'm spending a little time preparing. I did some listening to get a sense of what they are focusing on during this drive. It is time well spent. I want to be as engaging and and efficient with my time on-air as possible.

The pitch that's easiest for me is the close. I can recite funding facts. I'm also am pretty good with ease of pledging. I can also talk about how listeners can select their own level while suggesting one for them. Notice that I did not include premiums. Those help establish a level and may help trigger the pledge.

It's the case...the reminder of what public radio offers that is so unique and valuable...that takes a lot more thought. The case is more about why listeners have come to value public radio.

One place I start is the Core Values of Public Radio. That's where I can find bullet points about the value of the service. The Vocabulary of Qualities is my starting point. There's a lot more about the core values of public radio at the PRPD site, Station Resource Group, Walrus Research and the Development Exchange.

Public Radio's content is what drives listening and listener loyalty. Listener loyalty is what drives membership.


Qualities of Mind/Intellect
Love of lifelong learning
Substance
Expand understanding
Connect with the world
On the lookout for unique/excellent content
Curiosity: Asking why not just what
Trust, Credibility, Accuracy, Honesty
Non-manipulative
Non-sensational/No hype
Respect for listener
Purpose
Qualities of the Heart/Spirit
Humor
Idealism
Inspired about public life
Civility/Civil Discourse
Content holds center stage
Guest is the star
Qualities of Craft/Use of the Medium
Uniquely human voice
Conversational
Authentic
Intimate
Deliberate/thoughtful pace
Attention to detail

No comments:

Post a Comment